Sunday, April 14, 2013

Tasting – Barefoot White Zinfandel


Name: Barefoot White Zinfandel
Winery:  Barefoot Cellars
Variety: 100% Zinfandel
Region: Modesto, California
Country: USA
Year: non-vintage
Price: $6.99

Wine critic review: The Barefoot Wine White Zinfandel is one of two non-sparkling blush wine offerings from the people at Barefoot Wines. Now, I know what you are thinking. Why would I ever drink cheap blush wines that do not have bubbles in them? We asked ourselves the same question before embarking on this endeavor, but eventually we said that we had to do it in the name of science. And with that, we dove in to our first bottle of Barefoot Wine White Zinfandel. This White Zinfandel was, as expected, incredibly fruity. While there were many fruits present, the most noticeable being strawberry with some peach. The Barefoot Wine White Zinfandel is quite sweet. This almost reminded me of drinking a wine cooler, and I do not mean that as a compliment. While Barefoot recommends pairing this with seafood, I cannot really see this pairing well with any food. At best, you should drink this on a hot summer day, if you drink it at all. I do not recommend picking up a bottle of Barefoot Wine White Zinfandel. I was biased going into this, and the wine did nothing to sway my preconceived notions. It was not good and not even worth $7 – Sourmashed.com, 11/25/2012
My review: I was really excited to try this wine. It had such a pretty blush, rose color – it reminded me of cherry 7-up. I noticed when I poured it a lot of fizzing and bubbles, most of which were temporary, but noticeable nonetheless. On the nose, it reminded me of the Barefoot Moscato – a very citrusy punch to the nose. It tasted a little hot – this time like a pineapple and an orange were on fire in my mouth. I also detected hints of strawberries, which I enjoyed (strawberries are my favorite fruit). It was still really smooth and easy to drink. I feel like I will really enjoy this wine more as the summer season gets closer and closer, possibly with a slice of watermelon. The wine left my mouth feeling a little dried out – the watermelon would counter that nicely. Barefoot’s website also has a recipe for a Barefoot White Zinfandel Peach Sangria, which sounds pretty awesome and I plan on trying (http://barefootwine.com/recipes/barefoot-white-zinfandel-peach-sangria)

I tasted this on its own with no food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment