Sunday, April 7, 2013

Tasting – Simply Naked Unoaked Pinot Grigio


Name: Simply Naked Unoaked Pinot Grigio
Winery: Simply Naked Winery
Variety: 100% Pinot Gris
Region: Acampo, California
Country: USA
Year: 2011
Price: $9.99

Wine critic review: “Mild aromas of peach yogurt and dried pineapple with a soft, fruity medium body and a tangy apple, cream, and nectarine finish. Very tasty and a lovely patio wine.” – Beverage Testing Institute, 09/11/2012

My review: I was unbelievably excited to try this wine. After the quick realization that the oak monster is out to get me, seeing a wine with “Unoaked” on it come through my line at work was a blessing. I had just finished working 3 days in a row, for a little over 7 hours each day, and I felt burnt out and wanted a crisp, fresh wine for the evening. As soon as I opened and poured this wine (which had a really nice, soft cork – super easy to remove), I noticed a slight fizz as I poured the wine. On the nose, I detected hints of lemons and pineapple. When I tasted the wine, I noticed it felt like my tongue was being burnt on the finish. It had very citrus-like qualities – like an orange on fire. It felt a little too hot for me, not as smooth as I wanted it to be. 

I tasted this on its own with no food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment