Sunday, April 14, 2013

Tasting – Gallo Family Chardonnay


Name: Gallo Family Chardonnay
Winery: Gallo Family Vineyards
Variety: 100% Chardonnay
Region: Modesto, California
Country: USA
Year: non-vintage
Price: $6/99

Wine maker’s notes: Our medium-bodied Chardonnay has a pleasing range of unexpected flavor - citrus notes, hints of vanilla and a dash of oak. Rich fruit and a lush texture complement buttery salmon and other fleshy fish, poultry, seafood salads, and cream sauces.

My review: Before tasting this wine, I glanced over the wine maker’s notes and took extreme notice of the “dash of oak” comment. I tend to find the “oak monster” overpowering in anything I drink that has been aged in an oak barrel. Accordingly, I prepared myself to face the “oak monster.” On the nose, I could tell that I was in for a citrus, oaky attack. In a way, like a lot of white wines do, it always resembles Barefoot’s Moscato to me on the nose. There is something about this citrusy, pear-orange-apple combination that I tend to notice again and again. Taste-wise, it was not as overpowering as I thought it was going to be. I would say there was a “kiss” of oak from the oak monster – nothing too serious, but still something you take note of. It was much smoother than I anticipated – maybe almost a little too smooth and bland. The finish was also a little hot – my tongue felt like it was still burning a little bit on the finish.

I tasted this on its own with no food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment