Sunday, April 14, 2013

Tasting – Yellow Tail Cabernet-Merlot


Name:  Yellow Tail Cabernet-Merlot
Winery: Casella Wines
Variety: 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot
Region: Yenda, Australia
Country: Australia
Year: 2012
Price: $11.99

Wine maker’s notes: Bursting with ripe blackberry fruit. Bold flavors from the Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot create a perfect blend of fruit with a hint of spice.

My review: In continuing with my Yellow Tail trend, I saw this wine at the store and thought – why not? This was definitely going to be something different for me - totally worth giving it a shot. I tried this wine on a Saturday night with a few friends while catching up on Season 3 of Game of Thrones. I was in a good mood and ready to try this wine. I was soon ready to put down the wine after the first few sips and swirls. Like the Yellow Tail Sweet Red Roo, this wine immediately dried my mouth out. My tongue felt like it was shriveling up away from this wine. I could definitely taste blackberries and could smell them too. It felt like an overpowering wine to me – too complex and too big. It would definitely need to be paired with food – possibly steak or chicken. I can’t say I was a fan of this wine, though – and I would not be likely to drink it again

I tasted this on its own with no food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment